CBD dog treats

My Dog Ate My Weed – Is Weed Bad For Dogs?

Today, weed is more readily available than ever. This is mainly due to the legalization of recreational and medical marijuana across the country. A significant number of households probably have marijuana edibles stashed somewhere.

When your dog comes across a weed-infused brownie, it will go ahead and eat it thinking it’s normal food. Cases of marijuana intoxication among dogs are becoming more common.

Dogs And Marijuana

Marijuana contains tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive compound in cannabis which makes users high. THC reacts with cannabinoid receptors in dogs (just like in human beings) making them intoxicated. Further reading.

Marijuana comes in various forms such as oils and edibles. As your dogs explore the house on a daily basis, the probability that they’ll find a marijuana edible is high.

Many people mistakenly think that dogs ‘get high’ like humans. Nothing could be further from the truth. Some may find it hilarious and even take videos for social media, but your dog is scared and in most cases, helpless.

So, how would you know that your dog ate weed?

According to experts, dogs have more cannabinoid receptors in their brains than us, and this makes marijuana intoxication more harmful to them. A dog that ate weed will exhibit the following symptoms:

  • Dilated pupils and or/abnormal eye movements
  • Agitation or hyperactivity
  • Reduced coordination
  • Incontinence
  • High body temperature, or sometimes low body temperature (extremes)
  • Aversion to loud noises
  • Lethargy/sluggishness
  • Breathing is slowed

When the case is more serious, your dog may go into a coma, experience seizures or have tremors. Those are the symptoms you need to look out for if you suspect weed poisoning in your canine friend.

My Dog Ate An Edible

When your dog eats a marijuana edible, there’s no need to panic. Sometimes, the effects won’t be that much and it will be back to its normal state in a few hours.

One research shows that out of 125 dogs that ingested cannabis butter, only 2 died. More on the study. However, this shouldn’t be an excuse to take marijuana poisoning in dogs lightly.

When your dog consumes three grams of weed (per two pounds of your weight) or more, it could be in danger because that would be quite a high amount. Always be monitoring your dogs to see if they may have feasted on weed edibles.

What To Do If Your Dog Eats Weed

Once you have concluded that your dog is exhibiting symptoms associated with ingestion of weed, you need to act fast. It would be wise to visit a veterinarian immediately instead of trying out some home remedies.

And when you’re at the vet’s you need to tell the truth on whether the edible was legal or illegal. That’s a crucial moment and the right information will help the vet to pick the right treatment. Note that vet’s won’t report the case to law enforcement, so you have nothing to fear.

Usually, your dog will first be tested to ascertain if it’s indeed marijuana intoxication. A urine drug test (same as the one done with humans) will be done. In most cases, the tests are accurate. Your dog’s symptoms and history of exposure to weed will also be checked.

Now, there are various treatment options for an intoxicated dog. The first is induced vomiting if you manage to get to the vet before 30 minutes have elapsed since ingestion.

If the dog has already started showing symptoms, this method won’t be effective since cannabis has anti-nausea properties. Also, vomit can be inhaled and this can lead to aspiration and put your dog’s life in danger.

Other treatment options include activated charcoal and intravenous (IV) fluids. Activated charcoal absorbs the marijuana in the gastrointestinal tract and enables it to be excreted via stool. On the other hand, intravenous fluids speed up the excretion of the toxic substances through urine. Your pet may be hospitalized for up to 24 hours by the veterinarian for close monitoring.

Now that your dog is healthy and high-spirited again, it’s time to put measures in place to ensure they never eat marijuana edibles again. Place them out of your dog’s reach such as in the kitchen cupboard locked.

When you have friends or family members coming over, ask them not to leave weed brownies or gummies lying around. Lastly, let every member of your household know about the dangers of marijuana intoxication in dogs.

Post a Comment